30 Day Challenge Day 19: Galaxy Nails
I’ve been looking forward to Day 19 of the 30 Day Challenge because I’ve been wanting to try galaxy nails and needed the kick in the pants to do it.
By most accounts, creating galaxy nails is a simple nail art project. Well, it is and it isn’t. The technique is simple: dab and dot. Ok, got it. The challenge comes in that it requires a fair amount of restraint. Less is definitely more when it comes to galaxy nails. I read several blog posts and watched many video tutorials, all of which said basically the same thing: be sparse, don’t overdo it with the sponging, leave some space.
But even fully armed with that knowledge, I found it difficult to know when to stop. I think a few of these came out rather nicely; a few are kind of meh. Overall, it was fun and I will definitely do it again.
I used a lot of different colors here, but not all of them were used on every nail. I started with two coats of Orly Liquid Leather, a high-gloss black creme, for the base, followed by one coat of Poshe fast-dry top coat. When it was dry, I sponged on various combinations of these with the corner of a makeup sponge:
- OPI DS Mystery (untried): purple-black jelly with gold shimmer
- Orly Meet Me Under The Mistletoe (Untried): green/gold duochrome
- Orly Stone Cold (Untried): bright medium blue shimmer
- Zoya Wednesday: dusty turquoise creme
- Cult Nails Enigmatic (Untried): eggplant with strong shimmer
- A-England Morgan Le Fay: sheer white iridescent shimmer
- Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Wine Not (Untried): berry red with shimmer
- Kiko 359 (Untried): peach creme
I finished each nail with one coat of Jordana Lilac Hearts. It’s a glitter polish with large purple hearts, but I just left those at the bottom of the bottle and only used the glittery base to get the effect of lots of small stars. Then I put on on a few (too many in some cases) dots with NYC French White Tip using a small dotting tool.
Finished up with one coat of Poshe and called it a night.
Please visit some of the other bloggers that are participating in the 30 Day Challenge this month.
I know we will need a lot of encouragement to get through! Click here to see them: